Want to celebrate Mother’s Day, but aren’t sure how to do that without contributing to the waste stream? Choose from this list of thoughtful and sustainable Mother’s Day gifts.
Looking for zero waste Mothers Day gifts?
Whether you’re zero waste and want to keep it that way for the holiday or you’re shopping for a sustainable mom, these gift ideas will help both of you enjoy the day.
Not all of these items are entirely zero waste and fit more in the low waste or sustainable categories. No matter what, you’ll find something your mom will love on this list!
Sustainable Mother’s Day Gifts
1. Time together
Especially in this on-the-go world, it can be hard to spend one-on-one time with our mothers. Carve out a few hours or set aside a weekend to do something special together:
- Take a class together
- Book a weekend getaway
- Go out to dinner
- Explore a local hike
- Visit a local nursery or garden
- Attend a concert
- Go to a wine tasting
2. Fuel a hobby
Depending on the hobby, this one might not exactly zero waste. Purchasing supplies you know your mom will love and enjoy can be a good thing, though!
If mom is an avid crafter, you purchase her a high-quality tool to last a long time. Or, you can hunt down supplies from secondhand shops and Facebook Marketplace. Your mom will think of you every time she works on her favorite hobbies now!
- Garden tower and high-quality seeds to grow more fresh produce
- A cork yoga mat for downward dog
- Airlock lids and glass fermentation weights to ger her kraut on
- Get a 3, 6, or 12-month subscription to Book of the Month Club for a mom who loves to read
3. Spa Day for Mother’s Day
Help mom take a load off with a nice spa day! Whether she wants a mani-pedi or time in a flotation tank, this is a great way to give her something she will love.
4. Feed her delicious things
I love giving (and receiving) consumable gifts because they’re a great way to expand your palate while buying something your recipient will surely enjoy.
Look for Fairtrade, small-batch, or artisanal products like…
- San Juan Island Sea Salt – Handcrafted and naturally dried sea salt blends made on the San Juan Islands in Washington
- Theo Chocolate – Try the virtual chocolate tasting class together!
- Grounds for Change – Fairtrade and organic coffee for a caffeine-loving mom
- Primalwine – Ethically produced organic, biodynamic wines with low-sulfites
5. Zero waste Mother’s Day gifts to jumpstart her journey
Whether she’s an avid low waster or still learning, you can set mom up for success with some high-quality reusable products to replace disposables.
- Stasher bags to ditch the sandwich bags
- Beeswax wrap to replace her plastic wrap
- A MightyFix subscription to commit to an eco-friendly lifestyle
- Explore Plantish Future for zero waste brushes, soaps, and more (Use code MILKGLASSHOME15 to save 15% on your order!)
6. Zero waste skin and bodycare
Spoil mom with some high-quality, low waste skin and body care products! Once she sees how well these sustainable products work, she’ll be hooked.
- Try Everist’s water-free concentrated shampoo, conditioner, and body wash packaged in recyclable metal tubes
- Freedom deodorant is organic, EWG Verified, and even has a paper tube option
- Plaine Products – hair care and skincare products packaged in refillable metal containers
7. Gift a membership
If there is an organization your mom loves, this is a great time to make her an annual member!
- Local museum
- Historical society
- Botanical gardens
- National Park Pass
8. Join a CSA
Community Supported Agriculture isn’t just vegetables. Many local farms also sell eggs, dairy, wine, and flowers through ongoing deliveries. There’s even an online organic grain CSA available!
Look for CSAs in your area here.
9. Invest in her health
Help mom get a better night’s sleep with an eco-friendly mattress and organic bedding!
- Eco Terra – Hybrid latex mattress made with organic cotton
- Eco Lux – Memory foam mattress made with CertiPur US-certified foam
- Under the Canopy – The certified organic bedding we have on our bed
Learn more about eco-friendly mattresses here.
What do you think about these sustainable Mother’s Day gifts?
Was this list helpful? Did you find a zero waste Mothers Day gift idea your mom will love? Tell us below!